04 May 2024

My Years, in Films - 1983

May the 4th be with you! Going back to school and the cinema, to celebrate Star Wars Day

1983 was the year I transitioned from the infants to the juniors in primary school, and turned 8. I initially didn't enjoy the transition, but settled into my new class by the end of the year.

Return of the Jedi, in its initial cut, was the first Star Wars film I ever watched at the cinema, so I consider it to be the installment that first got me into Star Wars. I'm not sure when I first saw A New Hope, but I think it may have been on TV in the run up to ...Jedi being released.  After seeing ...Jedi, I collected many of the original Kenner Star Wars figures and vehicles, and most issues of Marvel UK's Return of the Jedi comic, which reprinted many of the older Star Wars comic adventures. I also remember doing a Return of the Jedi project in school, which involved the creation of a Chewbacca picture, incorporating brown wool. A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are better, but I'll always have a soft spot for Return of the Jedi, being the film which kicked off my Star Wars fandom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.